Images of Scotland has moved to www.photoartandtravelscotland.com. I wanted to move to a self-hosted site to make the content and formatting more dynamic. Hope you will join me over there and sign up for Email, RSS or other forms of regular updates when I add new posts, especially between July 27 and September 3 as we travel Scotland, play golf, and enjoy the community of Dornoch.
Thousands of Scots will return home to Edinburgh for the official Gathering on July 25-26, 2009. Our two-person segment of the Ross Clan will take the road less traveled–to Tain for the Ross Clan Gathering on August 12-13, 2009. We were enthusiastically greeted last year and are proud to be on the Tain through Time web site of 2008 Returning Rosses! (Scan down to the 16th photo to find us.) It’s truly amazing to see an entire church and churchyard full of headstones of just Rosses!
The Tain Through Time museum includes the Collegiate Church of St. Duthac where hundreds of Rosses are buried. It also commemorates the 18 pilgrimages King James IV of Scotland made to the shrine of St Duthac in Tain between 1493 and 1513. Husband Rex posed here, surrounded by his heritage. Quite the man!
Other images from Tain Through Time…and the Ross Clan:
Posted in Clan, Fine Art Photograpy, Ross clan, Scotland, fine art photography, travel | Tagged Clan, Collegiate Church of St. Duthac, fine art photography, Ross, Tain, Tain Through Time Museum, travel | 2 Comments »
1. Every summer Saturday, local pipe and drums and highland dancers march through the square and perform in front of the grand cathedral. The Dornoch Pipe Band is rated one of the top 5 small pipe bands in the world. When they attend competitions, the other local band, The Sutherland Caledonian, takes over. People enjoy their neighbors, children, dogs, and a bit of ice cream while cheering on the local talents.
2. The Royal Dornoch Golf Club. Golf links were first established here in 1616, not long after St. Andrews in 1552! The views are stunning from every hole, the tradition rich, and the golfers delightful!
4. The beauty of the town with its juxtaposition of stone and flowers and the surrounding area–with easy access to the Northern Highlands.
5. Our house for August in Dornoch! On the way out of town is our rental home for the month.
What do you think? Wanta’ come along?
Posted in Dornoch, Fine Art Photograpy, Golf, Highland Dancer, Highlands, Pipe and Drums, Scotland, fine art photography, travel | Tagged Dornoch, Golf, Highland Dancer, Highlands, Pipe and Drums, Royal Dornoch, Scotland, travel | 2 Comments »
Traveling Scotland for five weeks last summer led to a rich collection of photographs
- of Golf in the Kingdom (St. Andrews and Royal Dornoch),
- of Landscapes and Landmarks, and
- of Scotland Close Up (including quiet moments and people).
WELCOME to a blog in which I will (1) reminisce about our 2008 travels and (2) invite you to join in on our 2009 Scottish travels, stories, and photographs.
From July 26 – September 3, 2009 my husband, Rex, and I will be based in the town of Dornoch along the northeast coast of Scotland, just at the base of the Northern Highlands. Learn more about Dornoch at http://www.visitdornoch.com/
I invite your comments and suggestions of places, peoples, objects you’d like to see here. I hope you enjoy the journey!
Click here to see and /or purchase these or other Sally Ross Fine Art Photographs.